Monday, April 26, 2010

Crate Training Saves the Day

Crate Training, you rock. Whoever invented you, kudos up the wazoo.

Since shifting to full-on crate training on Saturday, Shadow has had two -- count 'em, TWO -- accidents in the house. Compare that to nine total on Thursday and Friday.

Why the long road? Despite all the books I read about welcoming a new puppy, I made a major mistake the first week Shadow was home: I became a helicopter puppy mom. So concerned about making him feel loved and welcome and happy, I ignored what he really needed -- sleep and his own space.

Sure, his crate was right there all week, waiting for his occasional interest. But he seemed to prefer the carpet and my lap. I wanted him to be happy, so I let him wander almost freely -- with a five-foot-six hawk always at his heels. In reality, all this did was set the stage for innocent but damaging accidents and sometimes frazzled reactions from Shadow's humans.

My unwavering willingness to play was also well intentioned but misguided. I assumed that if Shadow wanted to follow me around the house or chew on his third bully stick under the coffee table, I would be a bad (or at least boring) mother not to oblige. Sure, I let him sleep when he tuckered himself out, but I should have actively encouraged him to rest more often. Would a typical eight-year-old put himself to bed at 8 o'clock if he wasn't hounded to do so by his parents? No. Neither did Shadow, and he as a puppy is supposed to sleep 18 hours a day. 

So Saturday we moved the divider within the crate, fluffed his bed, and let him be. I may be less than 10 feet away most of the time, but now I can leave the room without him screaming (hooray!), get some work done without balancing an 18-pound ball of fur in my lap, and ration both the Nature's Miracle odor remover and my sanity. 

Why everyone should try crate training:
1 - It prevents accidents from occurring in difficult places such as on rugs, which can lead to frazzled owners and unsure puppies.
2 - It teaches puppies how to "hold it," as dogs don't like to soil their own sleeping places.
3 - It gives them a comfortable designated space that is truly their own.
4 - It encourages the appropriate amount of sleep for a growing Labrador puppy.
5 - He's all that more playful when he's out and well rested!

Did you miss something?

No comments:

Post a Comment