Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Best Friend

I'll Always Love You
Yesterday, while going through a pile of stuff my mother hoped to finally clear from the house, I came across a children's picture book called "I'll Always Love You."


It was written by Hans Wilhelm, an author and illustrator of more than 200 books, in 1988, and tells the story of a little boy and his dog, Elfie. The two progress through life together, first as playmates and eventually as a young man and his beloved old dachshund. Every night before bed, the boy makes sure to tell his buddy, "I'll always love you." This small action helps him cope when one morning his friend, who progressed through a shorter life at 10 times the speed, doesn't wake up.

I don't recall ever seeing this book as a kid, perhaps because I never had my own Elfie, but it was very well done and sweet (though extremely sad).

It's amazing how fast and how strong the bond between a dog and his or her owner can be. I know there are some who mock my endearment to my first puppy, who sneer at my commitment to training him correctly and to posting experiences for those who share an interest.

But this blog isn't for them.

No number of transparent smiles could make me beam less when I come through the front door to find a one-canine homecoming party waiting for me -- tail wagging, head swinging, paws high-fiving the air at the top of the stairs. No amount of rolling eyes could keep me from glowing when he nuzzles up to me or slides his drowsy face onto my fingertips or under my arm because that's where he feels safe.

Some people make light of the bond that can be forged between humans and their pets. And while not everyone needs a dog to love, to practice patience and playfulness every day, to stop and smell the roses and get caught up in life's simple pleasures... those who belittle the very idea are probably the most in need.

Shadow has already become a great playmate and a loving friend. I know we'll help shape each other over the next 10 to 20 years. 

Not a night goes by when I don't tell him how much I love him. And I always will.

1 comment:

  1. Laura-you are going to make quite the wonderful mother one of these days. Kudos to you my sweetie!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete