Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The circle of life

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually yell "Slow down!" to a passing car. As a kid, I thought people looked a little funny yelling at machines, and as a teenager I thought it was a little ballsy.

But today, after nearly being hit twice on Shadow's afternoon walk by drivers speeding up to an intersection and careening a right turn while hardly slowing down, it just popped out. Or, more accurately, bellowed.

I guess that's what happens when you're responsible for a life other than your own. Especially a life that would stupidly go racing up to the thing careening towards him, tail wagging, and then watch it pass with a confused expression of "Why didn't it play with me?"

So chalk another one up to the circle of life, and how we all inevitably become our parents -- which, for the most part, is pretty okay by me. And the fact that the lady driver I chastised was about 70 years old... well that's just more food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment